The Daily Stretch ~ Day #2 “Learning to ‘Like’ It”
April 17, 2011
Diane Johnson and I are in the same age bracket so for those of you who don’t remember when there was no Internet, you may snicker at the following stretch. But believe you me, when it comes to persistence, Diane Johnson has it all.
Recently charged with establishing a Facebook fan page for her $10 million heavy client, she was reminded of the time she was challenged to kill a snake her daughters had found in the garden.
“I’m a divorced mom of two. There was nobody else who could do it,” she remembers, wanting not to harm the snake, but knowing her dog might get hurt if they tussled. So, shovel in hand, she muscled through the scariest day of her life, whacking the snake with her garden tool until it slipped into eternal slumber.
“That was the scariest day of my life…until the moment I had to set up my client’s Facebook page.” Once again she was stretched beyond her perceived limits, literally learning the ropes by doing it. She learned:
- You need 25 fans to register a username.
- Her client didn’t have 25 fans.
- She had to come up with a marketing email requesting people to get them to ‘like’ their existing page.
- She even had her daughter ‘like’ it. Her daughter asked Diane to tell her when they hit 26 fans so she could unlike it—she didn’t want her friends to see that on her Facebook page.
- Then once she obtained the fan count, the username registration process was a whole new can of worms she had to untangle.
And she did. While her learning curve was steep, she carries a new confidence about her. “I did it. I really did it!”
Soon after, another client made the same request of her. And you know what? She said, “No problem!” Only this time she meant it!